Everyone deserves the opportunity to have a good life: a quality education that leads to a stable job, enough income to support a family through retirement, and good health.
United Way Worldwide has expressed our commitment to community change by focusing on the areas we want to impact:
- Education – Helping children and youth achieve their potential
- Income – Promoting financial stability and independence
- Health – Improving people’s health
Our local United Way has decided to use three correlating categories that focus on the people we are helping:
- Youth and Children - Assisting young people to have community-wide access to programs that promote development in areas of learning, life skills, recreation, health, and positive relationships with caring adults.
- People in Need - Helping people meet their basic needs for food and shelter and providing tools to help them move toward financial independence.
- Healthy Families and Individuals - Addressing the need for familiies and individuals to live free of destructive addictions or abuse. Seniors and those with disabilities are able to live in the home of their choice and be healthy and productive according to their ability. Families have access to health and recreation opportunities.
Our United Way has created a List of Community Outcomes and Goals that we use to focus our funding priorities and community-building efforts. Programs that apply for funding have to show results in our of our goal areas. Together, we are not just addressing one problem (such as preventing middle school at-risk youth from dropping out on high school), we are linking programs in an inter-related network of community caring that will create a stronger community in all aspects.
Living united means being a part of the change. It takes everyone in the community working together to create a brighter future. Give. Advocate. Volunteer. LIVE UNITED.